Clear Spring Area

34 – Fiery’s Inheritance, circa 1790, east of Clear Spring, MD

Posted on: Sunday, October 26th, 2014 @ 8:35 am

North of the church, along St. Paul’s Church Road, is a stone house set at right angles to the road, far down a lane. It is four bays wide with flat arches over the windows and coursed ashlar stonework. The corners of the house are quoined and there is a water table. The roof is …

» Read more

8 – Montpelier, circa 1790, Clear Spring, MD

Posted on: Sunday, October 26th, 2014 @ 8:35 am

Believed to be built over the site of Evan Shelby’s fort, the oldest sections of Montpelier were built by Abraham Barnes about 1790. Photo by Dennis Helfrick.

North and east of Clear Spring, on a sharp bend in Broadfording Road, stands Montpelier, shaded by stately old trees and surrounded by the outbuildings of another century. Built of white-painted brick and stone, five bays in length, the origin of the house presents a tantalizing mystery. Excavations around the site show evidence of charring …

» Read more