Adaptive Reuse of Historic Resources

42 – Miller’s Tavern, circa 1823, east of Clear Spring, MD

Posted on: Sunday, October 26th, 2014 @ 8:38 am

Built in 1823 by John Miller along the busy National Pike, today Miller’s Tavern is being carefully restored by another family of Millers to be a bed and breakfast and gift shop. Photo by Kevin Finnin. 2002

In the first quarter of the 19th century, the westward movement was changing the face and the character of the country. Roads were built to carry pioneers west to new lands and their products east to markets. One of the major trails of this migration was from Baltimore to Wheeling, West Virginia, through western Maryland, …

» Read more